Friday, September 11, 2009

A New Chapter Begins...

It has been almost 3 months since I completed my Residency in Family Medicine and started my new job - a small town Family Practice Physician. I absolutely love it! I work in a town with a population of about 1500 people, but services about 3000 including surrounding areas - and just 20 minutes from where I live! Staff of three at the moment, a nurse (RN), the office manager / receptionist, and...me.

I enjoy the patients - variety of ages and pathology. Ofcourse the bread and butter of medicine - Diabetes, High Blood Pressure, Heart Disease, but even the rare like a young girl with Phenylketonuria, a teeager with Von Hippel-Lindeau, and a few with Lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis, and other ailments. The staff is absolutely great. And at the moment, I am doing clinic work only with no hospital call which has many benefits! I have a regular consistent schedule, enough time for a few activities with the church, and time to spend with my young daughter.

I am in the process of applying for hospital privileges so that I can follow a few patients in the hospital (20 minutes away but in the town where I live), but I won't have to take call. A new chapter in my life has begun.

Oh, and I passed my Family Practice Boards! Yay!

So professional wise things are going great. The family and I are preparing to move to a nicer neighborhood in the next few weeks. We closed on our first home a week and a half ago.

And my baby girl is just getting bigger and bigger! 18 months old now! Excellent speech skills and overall a very bright baby - of course I am biased. But even the daycare workers say so. She knows her body parts, even her eyebrows. She can say her name, knows her age and she is sooo loving and playful. She is my absolute joy!

No comments: