Saturday, October 31, 2009

Young Sex

I also work 1/2 day a week in an adolescant / young adult clinic.

"Good morning doc" one of the college kids says to me when I walk in.

Good morning, I am Dr. Blank. What brings you here today?"

"Well, this girl I been messin with got chlamydia so I want to be checked to be sure I don't have it."

"Are you having any symptoms? Pain, discharge?"

"No. It's just that I got a girl back at home and...she even got a man at home...I just wanna make sure I aint got nothin or bringin nothin to my girl."

So I examine him, test him, counsel him on safe sex, and offer him free condoms (which he declines).

I see so many STDs in this population it is like an epidemic. It saddens, angers, and worries me all at the same time. In this case he was acting like it was no big deal at all. *sigh*

No comments: